Two boys nearly drowned by the pier yesterday, before they were rescued by a passer-by.
A group of young boys were fishing by the pier when, a great wave swept over them. “Tony lost his balance and just got dragged into the sea.” said Tony Slater’s friend who tried to rescue him. Alan Boyd then recounted what he did.
“I didn’t think; I just jumped in to try to help him.” Unfortunately the current was very strong, and pulled the fifteen year old boys under the water. The boys were good swimmers but could not compete with the strong wave.
What was meant to be a rescue, turned out to be an additional accident. “When Alan jumped in, he grabbed hold of me, but I could soon tell he was in trouble too.” commented Slater.
Thankfully, another lad, Mark Stebbings, saved the two boys. He was just passing by when he saw the two lads in trouble. As a trained lifeguard working at the local swimming pool, his instincts kicked in and he "didn’t think twice” about saving them.
"It was just sheer chance that I happened to be there at the time I don’t normally go to the beach at this time of the year,” said Stebbings. The two young boys are indeed very grateful that their lives were saved, even if it was “chance”. "I owe him my life,” said Slater
This accident attracted great attention. There were many eyewitnesses, who recalled the situation as "frightening." Joy Revel added, “My boyfriend ran to phone for help.” Shortly after the call arrived, the ambulance and police arrived on the scene. The boys were taken to the St Margaret Hospital to be treated for injuries.
“We do not suspect any foul play” commented the officer, after questioning a few eye-witnesses. However some are still worried about the safety of the pier. Mrs. Slater insists, “It’s time the council did something about the pier. It is not safe for fishing. There should be a sign to tell people it is dangerous” The police are now investigating whether the pier is actually a safe place to fish.
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment